8HA - Plant Utilities - October 2000
Part A (20 x 2 = 40 Marks)
- What are the various disssolved impurities present in water?
- What is meant by permanent hardness of water?
- Why intercooling is necessary in multistage compression?
- How mositure is removed from compressed air?
- What is cryogenic temperature?
- What is psychrometric chart?
- Differentiate between fans and blowers.
- What are the various types of cooling towers?
- Explain latent heat of evaporation.
- How does a vaccum pump differ from a compressor?
- What is an ejector?
- Explain the function of the barometric condenser.
- What are the common liquified gases?
- What are the different types of air conditioning equipments commonly used?
- Classify steam turbines.
- What are the chemicals used in the removal of turbidity of water?
- Define percentage humidity.
- Classify the different types of vaccum pumps.
- What is reversal Carnot cycle?
- Define heat transfer media.
Part B (5 x 12 = 60 Marks)
- (a) What are the major treatment steps for water to be used for (i)
drinking purpose (ii) for use in chemical process plants? (9)
Write a note on water distribution lines. (3)
Or(c) Describe the methods of purification of water required
to be used (i) in the manufacture of food products (ii) pharmaceuticals and
(iii) for cooling water purposes. (12)
- (a) Explain with a sketch the working arrangements of a reciprocating type
vaccum pump. (7)
(b) Compare the performance of reciprocating and
rotary compressors. (5)
Or(c) Discuss different methods of producing vacuum in
process industry. (12)
- (a) Explain the various methods of production of cryogenic temperature.
Or(b) Explain the different types of condensers used in
refrigeration system. (6)
(c) Explain the absorption refrigeration
system with a sketch. (6)
- (a) Explain the mechanical draft towers and the natural draft cooling
towers and compare their relative merits and demerits. (12)
Or(b) What are the varios methods avaialble for the
measurement of humidity? (6)
(c) What is the relationship between
wet bulb and adiabatic saturation temperature. (6)
- (a) Explain in detail the various types of steam turbines used in
(b) Compare single and multistage turbines.
Or(c) Explain in detail how a thermal power plant works.
(d) Write a note on electric power distribution in process