7HD - Electrochemical Engineering - October'1998
Part A (20 x 2 = 40 Marks)
- Define the term 'electrocapillarity'
- Write the assumptions made in Helmholtz Perrin model
- Define the 'electromotive force'
- Describe the term electrical double layer
- Explain liquid junction potential
- Explain charge transfer overpotential
- What is Prandtl Boundary layer?
- Write the expression for the overall cell potential
- Mention atleast two inhibitors for cooling water
- Define vapor phase inhibitors
- What is a sacrificial anode?
- What is stress corrosion cracking?
- What is a fuel cell?
- What is maintenance free lead acid battery?
- What is Titanium substrate insoluble anode?
- What is throwing power?
- Briefly indicate how open circuit potential can be measured
- Give some examples of depolariser
- What are the different forms of corrosion?
- Write the cell reactions for Ni-Fe cell
- (a) Derive Stern model theory with the clear indication of the assumptions made
(b) Explain the terms: inner potential, outer potential and surface potential
- (a) How diffusion coefficient is found using rotating disc electrode?
(b) Discuss the secondary current distribution on parallel plate electrodes
- (a) Explain the corrosion prevention using protective coatings
(b) Explain corrosion and its prevention in steam boiler
- (a) Write briefly on alkaline-manganese cell
(b) Discuss the working of fuel cells and also the recent advances made
- (a) Explain Electro-winning process with a suitable example from Industry
(b) Explain with a neat diagram of cell design suitable for metal recovery from very low concentration