8HF - Industrial Catalysis - April 2000
Part A (20 x 2 = 40 Marks)
- Name the different types of heterogeneous catalytic reactions.
- Differentiate between monolayer and multilayer adsorption.
- How is activation energy altered by catalyst? Explain briefly with suitable example.
- How is evaporated film metal catalyst produced?
- What are the functions of carriers?
- How oxide catalyst are classified?
- How conductity measurements useful to predict catalyst activity of a catalyst?
- How is an electronic factor influences the activity of catalyst?
- Name the materials which are suitable for catalyst carriers.
- How is charcoal supported palladium catalyst prepared?
- What are callled autocatalysts? Give example.
- How is chain radical reaction carried out using catalyst? Give example.
- How is ionic heterogeneous catalytic reactions carried out? Give example.
- Name the factors that influences the catalytic activity of a solid porous catalyst.
- Name the factors to be considered while designing a reactor for heterogenoeus catalytic reactions.
- Name the reactor and catalyst used for dehydrogenation of hydrocarbons.
- How is reversible exothermic gas phase catalytic reactions are carried out?
- How is double heat exchange tube catalytic reactor used in the manufacture of ammonia?
- What are called bifunctional catalysts?
- How is multitude of variables affect the activity of a catalyst?
Part B (5 x 12 = 60 Marks)
- (a) (i) Explain chemisorption by using potential energy curve.
(ii) How is supported metal catalyst prepared by coprecipitation method?
(b) (i) How are metal wires and metal foils used as catalyst? Explain briefly with example.
(ii) How is supported metal catalyst prepared by impregnation method?
- (a) (i) Explain Tempkin isotherm.
(ii) Explain the role of adiabatic and isothermal calorimeters used in the measurement of heat of adsorption.
(b) (i) How is thin oxide film catalyst prepared?
(ii) Explain the role of silica supported catalyst for the production of industrially valuable products.
- (a) (i) How is catalytic reactions carried out using filtering bed reactors?
(ii) Explain the working principle of catalytic reactors with external heat exchangers.
(b) (i) Describe the functions of tray type catalytic reactors.
(ii) Explain the working principle of tubular catalytic reactors.
- (a) (i) Describe the method of determination of surface area of catalyst.
(ii) How are catalyst carriers classified?. Explain the functions of high area porous carriers.
(b) (i) How is bifunctional catalyst used in isomerisation reactions?
(ii) Write a note on catalytic poisons and inhibitors with suitable examples.
- (a) (i) Discuss the working principle of fluidized bed catalytic reactors by taking specific chemical reaction.
(ii) Explain the functions of catalytic reactor for reversible exothermic gas-phase reactions over a fluidized bed of the catalyst.
(b) (i) Describe the steps involved in the manufacture of vegetable fat through hydrogenation reactions using Raney nickel catalyst.
(ii) Why heterogeneous catalysts are more preferred than homogeneous catalysts? Substantiate with examples.