5HA - Organic Chemical Technology - October 1998
Part A (20 x 2 = 40 Marks)
- Name the machine used for making paper from wet pulp
- Why raw sugar is to be refined?
- What is viscous rayon?
- What are the main products of coal gasification?
- List two examples of fermentation products and their sources
- What are surfactants?
- Indicate one route for getting synthetic glycerin
- What are antibiotics?
- What are the general constituents of crude petroleum?
- What are the main petroleum refinery fractions?
- What is hydroforming?
- Name a few important large-scale petrochemicals that can be obtained from benzene
- Give an example of a monomer and its corresponding polymer
- Distinguish addition and condensation polymerization?
- What is emulsion polymerization?
- Name two thermoplastics
- What is Teflon and where it is mainly used?
- What are the main properties of a fiber?
- What are polyurethanes?
- Name two dye intermediates
Part B (5 x 12 = 60 Marks)
- (a) Discuss the different methods of preparing pulp and compare them
(b) With a neat flow diagram explain the manufacture of starch from corn
- (a) Describe the manufacture of citric acid from crude sugar
(b) Illustrate with a flow sheet how detergents are produced
- (a) Classify as per the order of their cuts, the various petroleum products obtained from crude petroleum with their uses
(b) Describe with a flow chart, the production of Benzene from petroleum naphtha
- (a) Discuss with examples the different types of polymers
(b) Explain with a flow sheet the production of phenol-formaldehyde resin
- (a) Explain with a flow chart the manufacture of polyester fibers
(b) Discuss the different synthetic rubbers with their specific properties and uses.