5HA - Organic Chemical Technology - October 1997
Part A (20 x 2 = 40 Marks)
- Why beating is required in the manufacture of pulp?
- Mention the steps involved in the manufacture of sugar
- What are the uses of bagasse?
- What are the industrial applications of starch?
- Name four industrial fermentation products
- What is meant by hydrogenation in oil and fat industry?
- What are soaps and detergents?
- What are the uses of fatty acids?
- What are the byproducts from natural gasoline?
- What are heavy distillates?
- What are the characteristics of petroleum refining?
- What is meant by catalytic reforming?
- How are plastics classified?
- What are the ways in which polymerization takes place?
- Name three synthetic fibers
- Give one example of polyester
- Name three synthetic rubbers
- Name two tanning processes in leather industry
- Vegetable tanning is used for what type of materials?
- Classify the dyes
Part B (5 x 12 = 60 Marks)
- (a) Describe the manufacture of sulphate pulp including black liquor recovery
(b) Discuss the various gasification processes of coal with neat diagram
- (a) Describe the manufacture of industrial alcohol from molasses with the help of a flow chart
(b) What is soap? How is soap manufactured?
- (a) Discuss the products obtained from the refining of petroleum and indicate their commercial uses
(b) What is sweetening? List the different sweetening treatments used in petroleum processing. Discuss any one method in detail
- (a) What are plastics? What are the basic differences between thermoplastic, thermosetting and elastomer resins. Give examples
(b) (i) Discuss about different types of resins
(ii) Describe the manufacture of phenol-formaldehyde resin with a neat flow diagram (5 + 7)
- (a) Describe the viscose process for the manufacture of Rayon fiber indicating in detail the steps involved
(b) (i) Compare natural and synthetic rubbers
(ii) How is natural rubber prepared? What are its important properties (6 + 6)