8HF - Industrial Catalysis - October 2000
Part A (20 x 2 = 40 Marks)
- What are called negative catalysts? Give examples.
- Name any two methods used for the removal of catalytic poison.
- What are called carriers? Give examples.
- What is called micro heterogeneous catalyst. Give examples.
- Define contact time. Mention its usefulness.
- Name the device used to collect the catalyst dust in the moving bed catalytic reactor.
- Differentiate between catalyst and an initiator.
- What is meant by selectivity?
- Explain briefly Freundlich isotherm.
- Differentiate between activated and inactivated chemisorption.
- What is meant by diffusivity?
- What is called enzyme catalysis? Give example.
- How do the impurities present in the catalyst mixture affect the activity of catalyst?
- How does the catalyst alter the activation energy?
- Mention any two drawbacks encountered in filtering bed catalytic reactor.
- What is meant by codeposition? Name any two catalysts prepared by this method.
- How does the surface area influences the catalytic activity of catalyst? Explain.
- Write down the Langmuir isotherm equation and explain the terms in it.
- Suggest a catalyst for the dyhydrogenation of n-butane.
- Write a short note on bimetallic catalyst.
Part B (5 x 12 = 60 Marks)
- (a) How are mixed oxide catalyst prepared?
(b) Explain briefly the selection and preparation of catalyst for industrial hydrogenation process.
- (a) Show that Al2O3 and K2O are only promotors and they are not catalysts in the synthesis of Fe-Al2O3-K2O system.
(b) How do geometric and electronic factors influence the property of catalyst.
- (a) Explain briefly the principle of differential and integral reactors, why is a differential reactor preferred to integral reactor for test purposes.
(b) Explain briefly any two unit operations involved in the production of catalyst for reduction process.
- (a) Describe briefly the production of cracking catalyst for petroleum products with the help of a flow chart.
(b) How is reactivation of cracking catalyst carried out?
- (a) Explain briefly the working principle of fluidized bed catalytic reactor.
(b) Discuss the working principle of slurry reactors and mention their industrial applications.