8HW - October 2000
Part A (20 x 2 = 40 Marks)
- Define computer logic.
- What are the different types of operational systems?
- Explain time-sharing.
- Name some commonly used high level languages.
- What is a source program and object program?
- Define activity and fugacity.
- What is meant by a single pass and multipass heat exchanger?
- What are the different equations available for calculating VLE data?
- What are the advantages of a double pipe heat exchanger?
- Draw a neat sketch of a single effect evaporator.
- When do you use finned tube heat exchanger?
- On what basis are heat exchangers classified?
- Evaporators are classified according to _________.
- What are the accessories that have to be used with the evaporators?
- Define elevation in boiling point.
- What are the different types of tower packing?
- What is Henry's law; where is it applied?
- Define HETP.
- Describe triangular diagrams.
- Define correction factors; where is it used in heat exchanger.
Part B (5 x 12 = 60 Marks)
- (a) What is a personal computer? How do they differ from mainframe
Or(b) What is meant by compilation and interpretation?
- (a) What are the various thermodynamic property of gases and binary
mixtures? Explain their usefulness.
Or(b) What is flash distillation? How do you use the computer
to estimate the purity of the distilled components?
- (a) Develop a software for the design of a 2 pass shell and tube heat
Or(b) Write an algorithm for the design of a condenser.
- (a) Write an algorithm and draw a flow chart for the design of a multiple
Or(b) Write a software for a forced circulation evaporator.
- (a) Write a program for separation using an absorption with provison to
enter the preliminary data required.
Or(b) Draw a flow chart together with an algorithm for the
design of a plate type extraction tower.