8HW - Computer Aided Process Plant Design - October 1998
Part A (20 x 2 = 40 Marks)
- What is meant by CPU?
- What are the various output devices?
- What is an assembly language?
- What is meant by Hierarch in computer operations?
- What is meant by dew point?
- Differentiate between ideal and nonideal mixtures.
- What is an azeotrope?
- Define activity coefficient.
- What are the disadvantages of a fixed tube sheet heat exchanger?
- What ranges of velocities are to be considered for gases in heat exchangers?
- Define boiling point elevation.
- Differentiate between an evaporator and a reboiler.
- What are the standard lengths adopted in shell and tube heat exchangers?
- What is the function of the downtake pipe in a calendria evaporator?
- What are the advantages of backward feed in multiple effect evaporation?
- What is absorption factor?
- Name the methods used for the determination of number of plates for multicomponent systems.
- Name the types of trays used for distillation operation.
- What assumptions are implied in the McCabe and Thiele method?
- What methods are available for the determination of equilibrium data of nonideal mixtures?
Part B (5 x 12 = 60 Marks)
- Write in detail on the elements of computer architecture.
- Explain in detail central processing unit. Write in detail how the unit works.
- Develop an algorithm for the determination of bubble point and dew point using vapor pressure data.
- Write a program for generating equilibrium data of a binary non-ideal mixture.
- Write down the stepwise procedure for the design of shell and tube heat exchanger.
- Write a design program for the estimation of number of hair-pins of double pipe exchanger for cooling a hot fluid using water as a cooling medium.
- (a) What are the different types of evaporators? How do you choose an evaporator for a given process? (6)
(b) How do you solve the balance equations of a multiple effect evaporator? Explain the nummerical method that can be used successfully. (6)
- Give the stepwise procedure of design of a short-tube calendria evaporator.
- Develop an algorithm for the design of a multistage distillation column.
- Explain the stepwise procedure for the design of absorption towers.