Chemical Plant Utilities - October 1998
Part A (20 x 2 = 40 Marks)
- Write a note on humidity chart.
- What are the sources of water?
- What is a steam jet ejector?
- What is zeolite water softening?
- What is Mollier diagram?
- Explain volumetric efficiency.
- How humidity can be measured?
- What do you meant by efficiency of a steam turbine?
- What is super heated steam?
- Explain evaporative cooling.
- What is the application of cryogenic temperature in chemical industry?
- How air conditioning load is calculated?
- What are the major treatment steps for drinking water?
- Define the terms used to characterise air-water systems.
- How steam economy can be improved?
- What is the function of a dehumidifier?
- What are the different types of air conditioning equipments commonly used?
- What treatment is required for high pressure boiler feed water?
- Write a brief note on heat transfer media.
- What is spray pond cooling?
Part B (5 x 12 = 60 Marks)
- (a) Explain briefly about primary and secondary plant utilities. (5)
(b) Describe the methods of purification of water required to be used in the manufacture of food products and pharmacueticals. (7)
(c) What factors must be taken into account while designing distribution lines for water in a chemical plant? (6)
(d) What is meant by hardness of water? How hardness can be removed? (6)
- (a) Explain with a sketch, the compressor setup used for compressing synthesis gas for ammonia manufacture. (6)
(b) Describe the working of (i) steam jet ejector (ii) an axial compressor. (6)
(c) How does a vaccum pump differ from a compressor? Briefly explain the methods employed to produce very high vaccum. (6)
(d) Discuss briefly about the types of packing materials and mechanical seals used in compressor equipments. (6)
- (a) Explain the different types of condensers used in refrigeration system. (7)
(b) Explain briefly the important methods used for low temperature gas liquefaction. (5)
(c) Discuss the standard vapor compression refrigeration cycle in detail with the aid of a sketch. How can the Mollier diagram can be made use of in the design of a refrigeration system. (12)
- (a) Why do humidification and dehumidification become necessary in air water systems? Bring out the difference between the two. Briefly describe the equipments for these operations. (12)
(b) Discuss how the need arises for the cooling of water in process plants. Name the equipments usually used for the cooling of water and describe the salient features of each. (8)
(c) What are the different types of air conditioning equipments commonly used in industrial plants? Describe the important features of these. (4)
- (a) Sketch the basic flow diagram of a steam plant cycle showing byproduct generation of electric power and process steam. (7)
(b) What are the factors that affect the efficiency of steam generation? (5)
(c) Discuss about steam handling and its effective distribution. (12)