7HD - April2000
Part A (20 x 2 = 40 Marks)
- Define ‘electromotive force’
- Briefly write about electrochemistry
- What is electrocapillary curve?
- What is Helmoltz layer?
- What is the function of supporting electrolyte in polarography?
- What is the concept of limiting current?
- Explain charge transfer over potential
- What is primary cell?
- Define the term ‘passivation’
- Mention few paint removers
- What is meant by sacrificial anode?
- Explain cathodic protection
- Write about primary batteries
- What are fuel cells?
- Mention few secondary cells
- What is throwing power?
- Explain electro polishing
- Mention the electrodes used in electrochemical industries
- What is anodising?
- Explain electro-refining
Part B (5 x 12 = 60 Marks)
- (a) Explain the terms inner potential, outer potential and surface potential
(b) Chemical and electrical energies are interchangeable. Explain this through the working of an accumulator
- (a) Describe the principles and working of a rotating disc electrode, with diagram
(b) Discuss the secondary current distribution on parallel plate electrodes
- (a) What are inhibitors? Explain the mechanism of inhibitors in controlling corrosion
(b) Discuss the corrosion prevention using protective coatings
- (a) Write briefly about Alkaline-Manganese cell
(b) What is meant by high rate discharge in a battery system? How is it measured? Explain
- (a) Discuss about selective solar coatings.
(b) Discuss the preparation and uses of Titanium substrate insoluble electrode.