5HA Organic Chemical Technology - April'2000
Part A (20 x 2 = 40 Marks)
- What are the advantages of Kraft pulp?
- How do you obtain glucose from starch?
- Why beating is required in the manufacture of pulp?
- What are the uses of baggasse?
- Name four industrial fermentation products
- What are detergents?
- What are the steps involved in the refining of edible oils?
- What is meant by hydrogenation of oil?
- Give the refinery crude petroleum classification
- What is catalytic cracking?
- What are the byproducts from natural gasoline?
- Name two oil refineries in Tamil Nadu
- How are plastics classified?
- What are the ways by which polymerization takes place?
- Mention few industrial applications of polymers
- How silicon rubbers are made?
- What is Neoprene?
- Name any four dye-intermediates
- Classify the dyes
- Name two tanning processes in leather industry
Part B (5 x 12 = 60 Marks)
- (a) Describe the manufacture of corn-starch with the help of flow diagram. Mention the uses of starch
(b) Discuss the various gasification processes of coal with a diagram
- (a) Describe the manufacture of industrial alcohol from molasses with the help of flow diagram
(b) What are oils and fats? What are the methods available for the extraction of oils? Describe any one method in detail
- (a) What is Sweetening? List the different sweetening treatments used in petroleum processing. Discuss any one method in detail
(b) Describe the catalytic reforming process for the naphtha feed with a flow sheet
- (a) What are plastics? What are the basic differences between thermoplastic and thermosetting resins? Give examples
(b) Discuss the various methods of polymerization.
- (a) Describe the viscose process for the manufacture of Rayon fiber indicating the steps involved in detail.
(b) (i) Compare natural and synthetic rubbers
(ii) How is natural rubber prepared? What are it's important properties?